Sunday, July 20, 2008

Flea Markets and Cheesy Movies.

Today I got to shoot feature for the paper.
I was so happy.
I don't understand why Angeli doesn't like feature assignments.
I hope one day she loves them as much as I do.

At first I was kind of scrounging for what I wanted to shoot, but then I saw a sign for a flea market not too far from where I was.
So I drove the three miles in the direction of the arrow that the sign pointed me in,
and it led me to the Antique Mega Mall parking lot.
I think it's important to note that I go to that antique shop all the time, in fact I was just there last Friday purchasing an old 8mm film camera. man.
I was quite concerned because it was already 2:30 pm and the market was over at 3, but I got to meet some interesting characters and had some great conversations.


This is Steve Levesque. He lives in Lansing and likes to decorate his house in qhat he calls "shabby chic." We had conversations about hunting at flea markets and he called it an illness. In his words, "you get to the point where you are purchasing just to buy, even if there is no purpose for the item."
Photobucket

He said that he's only been selling stuff for the past month or so because he's just trying to clean out his house. It's time to free yourself a little from items that are weighing you down."
p.s. he sold that radio flyer figurine for 50 cents.
Photobucket



This is Keith Marshall. He's been selling at flea markets since about 1975. He said he got started when him and his wife moved to farm land, where they began planting small crops of corn. Every Saturday he would take 70 ears of corn to the local farmers market and sell it for $1/ear. It continued when his kids needed pairs of blue jeans. He used to go to garage sales and could never find the right sizes of pants for his kids, but he would pick them up anyways and sell them later on. After that, it became a hobby for him and his wife.
He told me all kinds of stories about different items he purchased for dirt cheap thta ended up being worth so much money.
He stumbled across a clay bowl from South Mexico that was made between 800 A.D. and 1200 A.D. He still owns it.
My favorite story he told me today was about a lady in a wheelchair that stole an egg beater from his booth right in front of him. He just watched her because he didn't want to yell at someone in a wheelchair.
That makes me laugh every time I think about it.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Look at how creepy his eyes look in the glasses. It looks as if you can actually see his eyes, but in reality it's the reflection of a white van.
Look closer.Photobucket

Oh and last night I watched an amazing movie.
circa 1987. ha.
Photobucket

No comments: